Mass Intention Policies at Saint Bernard of Clairvaux
The practice of requesting a Mass to be offered for loved ones, living or deceased, is a beautiful and meaningful part of our Catholic tradition. In our Catholic Parish, there are many requests for scheduling such Mass intentions. St. Bernard Parish has only a certain amount of Mass intention opportunities. The following policies are being implemented in order to accommodate the numerous requests in a reasonable and fair manner.
Please note the following guidelines for Mass intention requests:
- To ensure consistent and fair opportunity for all desiring an intention for a loved one or event, we can schedule no more than 3 (three) Masses per year from each donor or for an intention.
- Up to six Masses may be requested for a person who is recently deceased, in the year following their death.
- Additional Masses may be requested; however, they may be sent out of the parish to the Chancery or Mission Office for distribution to other priests who will be able to celebrate these Masses. This applies to Mass intentions received at the time of a funeral. Canon Law does not permit us to keep Mass intentions beyond those that we are able to schedule in a year’s time (rolling calendar). Consequently, some intentions may have to be sent to the Chancery or Mission Office for distribution to other priests who will be able to celebrate these Masses.
- Masses may only be scheduled 12 months in advance from the date of request.
- Requests will be honored on a first-come, first-serve basis in the order in which the request is received at the Parish Office.
- Mass requests will be granted as close to the requested date and time as possible. If it is not possible to comply with the primary request, the next closest date and time will be scheduled.
- Requests for Mass intentions may be requested in person at the parish office, by telephone or by mail. A $5 stipend, as determined by diocesan policy, is to accompany each Mass request before it can be recorded in the Mass Intention Book.
- Mass intentions may be requested for Sundays, most holidays and weekdays throughout the year.
- One Mass every Sunday must be scheduled for the intentions of our parishioners known as “Pro Populo” (For the People) as required by Canon Law and diocesan statute. In addition, twice a month a Mass time will be reserved for the intention of the celebrant.
- SPECIAL DAYS: Mass intentions cannot be scheduled for:
- Holy Thursday, Easter, Christmas when the intentions are all “Pro Populo”.
- Mothers’ Day when the intentions will be “all mothers of the parish, living and deceased”.
- Father’s Day when the intention will be “all fathers of the parish, living and deceased”.
- All Souls’ Day (November 2) when the intention will be “All the faithful departed”.
- If for an unforeseen circumstance a Mass cancellation occurs, the intention for the Mass will be rescheduled on the next available opening.